Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Space

Need help looking for a good headset.

Since I got my PC back again, I'm looking into getting rid of these shitty turtle beaches especially since they irradiate a constant buzzing noise in my ear that is causing a tumor in my brain to grow in size every time I wear it.

I'm looking for something not crazy pricey, something decent. Astro A40's have been on my mind but I'm wondering if you guys have any other recommendation. I'm not looking for headphones and a seperate mic, I'm looking for an actual headset. 

Thanks for those that help me out!

My Razer Kraken 7.1 V2's are good, not majorly expensive either. They've corrected a lot of the things which were wrong with the original Kraken's. Knowing someone which went from Hyper X Cloud II's to the Razer Kraken 7.1 V2, they say that overall the Kraken's are better, especially when listening to music with the bass.

7 hours ago, Sharpienero said:

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but everyone I talk to loves their Hyper X Cloud II's

This one looks promising. Maybe something for me in the future.

9 hours ago, Cloudy said:

My Razer Kraken 7.1 V2's are good, not majorly expensive either. They've corrected a lot of the things which were wrong with the original Kraken's. Knowing someone which went from Hyper X Cloud II's to the Razer Kraken 7.1 V2, they say that overall the Kraken's are better, especially when listening to music with the bass.

So would you recommend the Kraken or the Hyper X Cloud II's? I looked at both and both look promising, I'm having trouble choosing haha

@Sharpienero I looked it up on amazon and found this. Do I need to buy any other extra cords or adapters or something for my PC or does it come with all required parts? I know I looked into Astro's and I had to buy certain cords or something and wasn't wanting to have to purchase all these extras.

Please don't get razer krakens, caspa has them and when he shouts our eardrums burst, and with u it'd be like 100x worse.

2 hours ago, jwofles said:

Please don't get razer krakens, caspa has them and when he shouts our eardrums burst, and with u it'd be like 100x worse.

Now he's gonna buy them because you said that

Anyways the Cloud II's are pretty good, I've had em for a year and no issues.

7 hours ago, jwofles said:

Pains right, now I’m more inclined to buy them.

I’ll keep asking around. The Hyper Cloud’s look nice but the Kraken looks easier to set up. What’s your input on the setup @Pain. that’s what I’m concerned about.

10 minutes ago, Space said:

Pains right, now I’m more inclined to buy them.

I’ll keep asking around. The Hyper Cloud’s look nice but the Kraken looks easier to set up. What’s your input on the setup @Pain. that’s what I’m concerned about.

There really isn't a setup, you put the mic into the headset, and it can be unplugged if you just want headphones. It's just one usb cable to plug into your computer. Also you can plug the cloud II's into a smartphone or other items with headphone jacks. You can see a video on everything here: 

Edit: Also about the setup, you will not need to install any software for the hyperX's they don't require anything extra so they're pretty simple.

18 hours ago, dolan rodstick. said:

IM THINKING SOME ACTUAL GOOD HEADPHONES https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3

I've heard bad things, honestly.

25 minutes ago, Pain. said:

Also about the setup, you will not need to install any software for the hyperX's they don't require anything extra so they're pretty simple.

I've heard bad things about the external drivers too, but I've never had them before. @Surreal Recommends them, but my other friend @Chris12H7 doesn't. /shrug

1 hour ago, Pain. said:

There really isn't a setup, you put the mic into the headset, and it can be unplugged if you just want headphones. It's just one usb cable to plug into your computer. Also you can plug the cloud II's into a smartphone or other items with headphone jacks. You can see a video on everything here: 

Edit: Also about the setup, you will not need to install any software for the hyperX's they don't require anything extra so they're pretty simple

Okay, honestly I hate having to purchase extras in order to set up the headset. Such as the Astro's and Turtle Beaches you need adapters and shit so if it's a simple process like you said with plugging in two cords. So hyperX's are looking pretty promising. Any experience with the Krakens? I've heard mixed reviews about them.

1 hour ago, Sharpienero said:

I've heard bad things, honestly.

I've heard bad things about the external drivers too, but I've never had them before. @Surreal Recommends them, but my other friend @Chris12H7 doesn't. /shrug

I'll look into the driver problems soon. Maybe Chris had a bad experience or something. If it's a common issue I'll try and see if people have come up with evasions or something for that particular issue.

24 minutes ago, Space said:

Any experience with the Krakens? I've heard mixed reviews about them.

My general advice is to avoid razer headsets.

If you look at a comparison between the Hyper X Cloud 2's and the Razer Kraken 7.1 V2's (Hence the V2's, MEANING VERSION 2. It's nothing like the original Krakens and they have fixed many complaints which people had).

Mic quality is good on the Hyper X Cloud 2's, likewise with the Kraken 7.1 V2's. <-- Might also be worth it to note that my friend, Fedzor, had the Hyper X Cloud 2's and he needed to not use the USB dongle which came with the switch between 7.1 and Stereo because if he used it then the mic would sound crap. (He also had to use stereo due to not having the USB dongle otherwise mic quality would sound terrible).

Sound however, the Kraken 7.1 V2's have a lot more bass and generally sound better when listening to music. Gaming from what Fedzor has told me (since he couldn't use the 7.1 switch on the Hyper X Cloud 2's) is saying that it's better and he can hear in different directions more clearly but that could be because he wasn't using the 7.1 in the Hyper X Cloud 2's. Just seems hassle to me as the Kraken 7.1 V2's are plug in via USB and done, no external shite.

Considering I bought these not too long ago, I had the same ideas you had, but I think Razer has a bad name for no particular reason, I agree the original Kraken's were bad (mic quality was shite) and the sound was meh but take a look at the review with a mic test, I'll link one. You can also halla at me any time and I'll give you a mic test with my settings that I use, most reviews keep it default hence why it sounds worse than what you'd expect.

The main thing which stopped me from getting the Hyper X Cloud 2's, which is what I was originally going to get. Is that Fedzor had to plug in an adapter thus meaning he can't switch between 7.1 and Stereo (I hate Stereo sound, much prefer 7.1 for everything). Another issue is that although the mic may be better on the Cloud 2's WITHOUT THE USB DONGLE, the overall sound on the Kraken 7.1 V2's are better coming from various reviews I've read. And the mic doesn't sound bad either (pretty good actually), definitely on par with the Hyper X Cloud 2's when configured correctly. Honestly, you'll be happy with both but check out this review, it swayed me in my decision and of course I didn't want to not be able to switch between 7.1 and Stereo.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Got it wrong, there is no adapter to plug in for the Hyper X Cloud 2's, I remembered incorrectly. The headset comes with a USB dongle in which you plug in the green and pink 3.5mm cable into then plug that into the USB slot in your PC, that comes with the switch for the 7.1 Surround Sound and Stereo. HOWEVER, when Fedzor used the mic through the USB dongle it sounded utterly awful, comparable to £10 headsets. However when he used the direct input (not using the USB dongle at all) it sounded much better, but then again not coming with the switch between 7.1 and Stereo.

So far I’m leaning towards the HyperX Clouds due to reliability and quality, it seems like a good fit for me.

@Cloudy I’m sure the Racer Krakens have improved but I don’t want to take any chances with them. I’m not huge on Razer in general (except for their beautiful mouses) so I will be going with the HyperX’s. If I’m mistaken and they blow, I will for sure be hitting up the Krakens. It sucks having two really good choices and having to choose one, but oh well. Thank you and everyone else for the recommendations!

3 hours ago, Space said:

So far I’m leaning towards the HyperX Clouds due to reliability and quality, it seems like a good fit for me.

@Cloudy I’m sure the Racer Krakens have improved but I don’t want to take any chances with them. I’m not huge on Razer in general (except for their beautiful mouses) so I will be going with the HyperX’s. If I’m mistaken and they blow, I will for sure be hitting up the Krakens. It sucks having two really good choices and having to choose one, but oh well. Thank you and everyone else for the recommendations!

Might be worthy to note that Fedzor's Hyper X Cloud 2's broke :P (Mic stopped working first, then the speaker fucked up inside his ear cup) Then again, could be his luck. But again, you'll be happy with whatever you choose and I would personally recommend the Kraken 7.1 V2's over the Hyper X Cloud 2's, but it's your decision so I hope they don't fuck up on you xD

2 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Might be worthy to note that Fedzor's Hyper X Cloud 2's broke :P (Mic stopped working first, then the speaker fucked up inside his ear cup) Then again, could be his luck. But again, you'll be happy with whatever you choose and I would personally recommend the Kraken 7.1 V2's over the Hyper X Cloud 2's, but it's your decision so I hope they don't fuck up on you xD

Everyone's going to have a bad experience with a product, it really can't be helped, however me personally and people I've known have never had any issues with the hyperX's. Some people are just unlucky when it comes to products that are supposed to be good.

don't go for razer or steelseries.

i love logitech gaming products in general because of their awesome 1 year free warranty they have. I replaced my headset twice for free :)  g430s are cheap and good, just keep your receipt and you're good.

3 hours ago, Alan said:

i love logitech gaming products in general because of their awesome 1 year free warranty they have. I replaced my headset twice for free :)  g430s are cheap and good, just keep your receipt and you're good.

Unfortunately I cannot agree. Their headsets are cheaply made, especially around the joints. Their mice, on the other hand.. G903 is fucking amazing.

14 hours ago, Cloudy said:

4 of my friends have this and none of them complain about their shit breaking. Maybe Fedzor was reckless with his pair. But I'm sure some do break. Just be careful.

On 10/22/2017 at 1:44 AM, dolan rodstick. said:

IM THINKING SOME ACTUAL GOOD HEADPHONES https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-3

Ignore these. My friend bought a pair and returned them the next day because he said they were shit. But, again, that's just one person's opinion.

21 hours ago, Sharpienero said:

Unfortunately I cannot agree. Their headsets are cheaply made, especially around the joints. Their mice, on the other hand.. G903 is fucking amazing.

4 of my friends have this and none of them complain about their shit breaking. Maybe Fedzor was reckless with his pair. But I'm sure some do break. Just be careful.

Ignore these. My friend bought a pair and returned them the next day because he said they were shit. But, again, that's just one person's opinion.

Yeah I have decided to go with the HyperX Clouds II's. I appreciate all of your recommendations and help finding one!

why tf did @jwofles rate this post confused. Wtf are you confused about you dumbass