Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MiKeY

Reputation changes

As of today I have removed the ability for members to give negative reputation to other members. This is a big change but at the same time it's a relatively tiny one so just to make it clear this is why I have changed it:

Over the past few months I have noticed a lot of reputation abusing to the point that I have spotted some member that have been literally teaming up again specific people. ( I will not name names and nor should any of you, you all know who it has been or who it is now, so lets just take this as a firm warning about respecting others in the community. ).

I am fully aware that this is not everyone and I thank everyone that has the ability to respect the other members in the community and the ability to be grown up about different situation. I know this change is going to look like a very targeted and lazy attack on the specific people that have been doing this but it has been done for more than just this one reason. I won't bore you all with the other reasons but if I am asked I will happily explain myself :) 

Due to this reason and more, I have turned negative reputation off for all members. This means that only positive rep can be given and if you don't like something because of what ever reason then you can simply move on, comment, or if it's breaking rules or being offensive then you can report the post and one of our admin team will deal with the post. I will not be recounting or removing the already existing negative reputation for members, sorry, it's just not worth the time, effort, or possible complaints ( of which I am sure this change alone will cause me ). 

Feel free to discuss the change bellow, I will be sure to try and keep active with the conversation ( if there is one ). I'm open minded so my mind could be changed but if I see arguing going on about specific people or what ever bull crap that could follow this post then I will simply lock the post and invite people to PM / DM me.

1 minute ago, MiKeY said:

As of today I have removed the ability for members to give negative reputation

Well it did get out of hand... But why not just put account restrictions on those infidels?

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Well it did get out of hand... But why not just put account restrictions on those infidels?

As lovely and as perfect as that would be. I simply don't have the time to set those restrictions myself and upon that IPB does not support member specific permissions for things like Reputation so I would have to go into each group, duplicate it, remove the rep permission, then change the users group the the alt one... It's just a pain in the ass and makes things very messy. It also wouldn't stop people making other accounts, etc. This was the simplest solution I could come up with.

6 minutes ago, MiKeY said:

As lovely and as perfect as that would be. I simply don't have the time to set those restrictions myself and upon that IPB does not support member specific permissions for things like Reputation so I would have to go into each group, duplicate it, remove the rep permission, then change the users group the the alt one... It's just a pain in the ass and makes things very messy. It also wouldn't stop people making other accounts, etc. This was the simplest solution I could come up with.

But for comments its still enabled btw (down voting you for proof will change<3) 909155d7c058c0f1bc4e165bc6cd9d2f.png Edit:JK didnt work

1 minute ago, Squid said:

But for comments its still enabled btw (down voting you for proof will change<3) 909155d7c058c0f1bc4e165bc6cd9d2f.png

No that would simply remove your upvote.

I feel like literally no one was affected by this at all. Those who were affected either don't come on here anymore or constantly make stupid posts. If someone makes a stupid post they will be mass downvoted, if someone makes a quality post, they will be mass upvoted. It's just how it works. I haven't noticed any downvote abusing unless they are downvoting peoples older posts.

If you are talking about a certain situation that arose the past day or two, the person shouldn't have created a million topics calling out an admin, maybe on topic or even a PM or something could have resolved it. He did something stupid so that's why the downvote option is here.

On a side note, this can do more harm than good. People can be super edgy and stupid and make stupid posts without consequence unless an admin hide/deleted the topic. Remember Dolan a couple months ago? He made all those stupid topics for attention and now that there is no downvote, he will probably be more inclined to do it now. Yeah he did it for negative rep but now some others might start doing the same thing? Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Unless I was missing something, probably 90-95% of the forum community wasn't affected by this rep abuse thing that happened.

PS: the precision gaming logo at the top of the website is ugly like wtf

1 minute ago, Space said:

I feel like literally no one was affected by this at all. Those who were affected either don't come on here anymore or constantly make stupid posts. If someone makes a stupid post they will be mass downvoted, if someone makes a quality post, they will be mass upvoted. It's just how it works. I haven't noticed any downvote abusing unless they are downvoting peoples older posts.

If you are talking about a certain situation that arose the past day or two, the person shouldn't have created a million topics calling out an admin, maybe on topic or even a PM or something could have resolved it. He did something stupid so that's why the downvote option is here.

Unless I was missing something, probably 90-95% of the forum community wasn't affected by this rep abuse thing that happened.

PS: the precision gaming logo at the top of the website is ugly like wtf

Like I said, it's a relatively tiny change. Should promote more conversation and allow "stupid posts" to just die quitly like they should instead of arguments breaking out over the downvotes. I've know of many instances of rep abusing and a lot of it is targeted at old posts. I'm not really talking about any certian situations, I'm simply solving an issue I've been seeing. It's also half in preperation for IPB 4.2 having reactions so the downvote will be added back but in a way that doesn't affect peoples upvotes ( rep )... 

It definitly wasn't something affecting the whole site but It's a change none the less and I wanted to explain it a little. 
PS: I KNOW! It wasn't me. Mine looked nice. Fuck @Nick... Am I right?

I'm not really sure this will make a difference to anything other than people just won't get down voted for saying something stupid. Which in my own opinion I thought was something better but now people will either be ignored or people with just start roasting the fuck out of each other. Either way is cool with me,glad I was aware of the update.